6.136 Language and species

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 1 05:38:05 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-136. Tue 31 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 84

Subject: 6.136 Language and species

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 11:00:50 -0500
From: ghh at Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman)
Subject: Hawks and sparrows

2)
Date:    Mon, 30 Jan 95 20:51 PST
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
Subject: Re: 6.124 Language and species

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 11:00:50 -0500
From: ghh at Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman)

As I recall, in Pasolini's movie, "The Hawks and the Sparrows," St. Francis
spends years trying to learn the language of the birds, chirping away at
them unsuccessfully, and finally discovers that they communicate by
hopping.  This is fiction, of course.

Gilbert Harman                      Voicemail: 609-258-4301
Department of Philosophy                  Fax: 609-258-1502
Princeton University                    email: ghh at princeton.edu
Princeton, NJ 08544-1006