6.135 Qs: Alliteration, Portuguese grammar, MLA, Barney Frank error

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 1 05:28:56 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-135. Tue 31 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 111

Subject: 6.135 Qs: Alliteration, Portuguese grammar, MLA, Barney Frank error

                           REMINDER

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 17:05:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Richard Dury, Bergamo" (ERASMUS at UNIBG.IT)
Subject: alliterative phrases

2)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 08:24:57 -0200
From: rsbeninatto at ax.apc.org (Renato S. Beninatto)
Subject: Portuguese Grammar in English

3)
Date:     Tue,  31 Jan 95 15:06 +0300
From: (OVNAT at HAR1.HUJI.AC.IL)
Subject:  MLA International Bibliography: the Linguistics Volume

4)
Date:          Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:04:25 EST
From: "Marge Jackman" (MJAC at mclean1.nl.edu)
Subject:       Barney Frank/Fag

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 17:05:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Richard Dury, Bergamo" (ERASMUS at UNIBG.IT)

I am collecting alliterative phrases in  English like PRIDE of PLACE, to HAVE
and to  HOLD, COOL  as a CUCUMBER,  by COMMON CONSENT,  etc. not  proverbs or
creative  language-use. Any  references to  articles etc.  would be  welcome.

ALso short lists of similar phrases in other European languages, sources and th
eoretical studies.

It is often said that such alliterative phrases are more common in the Germanic
languages, but I have never seen any statsitics about this. It is also often
said that such phrases go back to alliterative textual traditions, though
so far my researches have revealed very few actual phrases still current
that go back that far. Richard Dury, University of Bergamo, Italy