6.158 Qs: Mouth as metaphor, Move-XP, Syllabification, Cecilia Falk

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 6 09:58:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-158. Mon 06 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 150

Subject: 6.158 Qs: Mouth as metaphor, Move-XP, Syllabification, Cecilia Falk

                           REMINDER

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 08:14:58 +0200
From: Claude.Boisson at mrash.fr (Claude Boisson)
Subject: Q: Metaphor "mouth" = edge (knife)

2)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 08:34:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: Q: move-XP

3)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 95 11:52:57 EST
From: markell at afterlife.ncsc.mil (Debra R West)
Subject: Syllabification of Spoken English

4)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 1995 12:01:36 -0600 (CST)
From: Steven Schaufele (fcosws at prairienet.org)
Subject: address request, Cecilia Falk

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 08:14:58 +0200
From: Claude.Boisson at mrash.fr (Claude Boisson)

The French Africanists Jacques Fedry and Paulette Roulon  have written about=
 the lexicalized metaphor "mouth" =3D "edge" (of a knife) in a few African=
 languages. At first sight this frozen trope is very original, since usually=
 "edge" (of a knife) is expressed by a word with the generic meaning EDGE,=
 or by a word derived from CUT, SHARP, or more rarely THREAD (as in French).

A brief investigation shows that this metaphor is in fact more widespread=
 than was at first realized, as I found similar data ("mouth" =3D "edge" of=
 a knife, a sword, an axe, a razor, etc.) in quite a few languages which do=
 not necessarily have any clear typological, genetic or areal relationships=
 with one another.
So far the trope is found in the following languages :
(1) Non-Afroasiatic African languages: Gbaya (Oubanguian), Day (Adamawa),=
 Sar (Nilo-Saharan), Yoruba (Kwa).
(2) Possibly Hausa (Afroasiatic).
(3) Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew.
(4) Akkadian (on which see below).
(5) Aramaic (Eastern dialects).
(6) Coptic (as a calque from Greek, itself imitated from Hebrew ?).
(7) Homeric and Classical Greek. Modern Greek.
(8) Sanskrit.
(9) Old Icelandic.
(10) Dravidian languages (Burrow & Emeneau 1984, n=B0 5352), possibly going=
 back ro Proto-Dravidian.
(11) Turkish.
(12) Mandarin Chinese.
(13) Marginally in English: the mouth of a spade, etc.

My queries are the following :
(1) Generally, do you know any other languages where the metaphor is used?
(2) Specifically, is the metaphor used in Sumerian? Von Soden's Akkadian=
 dictionary gives one example of an Old Babylonian / Sumerian bilingual text=
 with Akk. "pi-i patrim" ("mouth of a sword") =3D Sum. "ka" (for Akk.=
 "pi-i"). Is this "ka" a calque from Akkadian, or did Sumerian use "ka"=
 ("mouth") spontaneously for "edge" of a sword ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Claude Boisson
Universite Lumiere, Lyon, France
Claude.Boisson at mrash.fr