6.167 Words that are their own opposites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 7 14:46:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-167. Tue 07 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 97

Subject: 6.167 Words that are their own opposites

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 14:55:47 +0800 (SST)
From: Anthea F Gupta (ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg)
Subject: Re: 6.108 Sum: Words that are their own opposites (part 2)

2)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 14:05:10 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Max Wheeler" (maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk)
Subject: Re: 6.139 Words that are their own opposites

3)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 11:57:53 CST
From: halasz at kewszeg.norden1.com (Hala'sz Sa'ndor)

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 14:55:47 +0800 (SST)
From: Anthea F Gupta (ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg)

) BRUCE NEVIN reminds us of an intercontinental auto-antonym pair: "public
) school" in Britain is "private school" in the USA and vice versa.
)
Well hardly. And certainly not vice-versa.  The British public schools
are a subset of the private schools.  Contrary to American impressions
the term "private school" is widely used in UK, as is "independent
school" in the same meaning.  Not all private schools are public
schools.  The term "state school" is the usual term for a school that is
free for all pupils.

Anthea Fraser GUPTA

English Language & Literature
National University of Singapore
Kent Ridge                                        e-mail: ellgupta at nus.sg
Singapore 0511                                   telephone: (65) 772 3933