6.166 IPA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 7 14:43:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-166. Tue 07 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 145

Subject: 6.166 IPA

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 15:23:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Greg Lessard (lessard at quvinci.francais.QueensU.CA)
Subject: Braille IPA

2)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:55:03 +0100 (MET)
From: hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)
Subject: Re: 6.137 IPA

3)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 09:59:05 -0600 (CST)
From: Hugh Buckingham (hbuck at salvador.speech.lsu.edu)

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 15:23:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Greg Lessard (lessard at quvinci.francais.QueensU.CA)

At the end of 1994, I sent out a request for information on a Braille IPA.
A number of people responded.  I will begin by thanking them here (in order
of receipt of their messages):

Richard Ogden
Sebastian Adorjan Dyhr
Martin Lange
David Hathaway
Robert Hoberman
Patrick Griffiths
Robert Englebretson

One source is the Royal National Institute for the Blind in England for which
I was given two addresses:

        Stephen Phippen, Chief Editor
        Braille Transcription
        Royal National Institute for the Blind
        PO Box 173
        Peterborough, England
        PE2 6WS
        Telephone: 0345 023153

and

        Royal National Institute for the Blind
        224, Great Portland Street
        Mount Pleasant
        London
        Great Britain

In addition, Patrick Griffiths wrote:

)Alan Kemp (who has recently retired from the Linguistics Department at
)Edinburgh University) supplied me with computer versions of a braille
)phonetics system that he and Bob Ladd had devised for a student there a
)few years ago.  I imagine that writing to or emailing Dr D Robert Ladd,
)Linguistics Department, Edinburgh University, 40 George Square, Edinburgh
)EH8 9LL, Scotland, UK, would be a way of pursuing this lead.

Finally, Robert Englebretson, a grad student in Linguistics at the
University of California at Santa Barbara provided a very detailed message.
He is himself blind and has used some form of transcription.  Among other
things, he wrote:

)The basic source of information on the Braille IPA system is the standard
)"Code of Braille Textbook Formats and Techniques, 1977" Rule XIX, Section 45,
)which gives a complete list of IPA and other commonly-used diacritics and
)symbols, and discusses rules for Braille transcription of linguistics
)materials in general.  (The basic symbols listed in this work, with some
)additions and changes, are from "A Braille Notation of the International
)Phonetic Alphabet", by W. Percy Merrick and W. Potthoff, Royal National
)Institute for the Blind, London, 1932; revised 1948).  The relevant section
)from "Code of Braille Textbook Formats..." gives a good overview of each
)Braille symbol and how it is used, and describes the print symbol it
)represents.  The verbal descriptions of the printed symbols are extremely
)useful, since they can provide a means of communicating about a particular
)symbol without having to see it visually.  I have a copy of this section in
)both print and Braille, and have found both very useful.  I can provide
)information about where to get both a Braille and a print copy of this
)section, if you are interested.

)A second work I have found useful, was compiled by a Braille transcriber
)(unfortunately now deceased) who had a great interest in linguistics.  It is
)entitled "Phonetic-Phonemic Symbols in Tactile Representation", and is a list
)of raised tactile drawings of print symbols, with their Braille equivalents.
)This is a very useful work for a blind student to get a "feel" for the print
)symbols and also as a reference to the Braille symbols.  The Braille edition
)of this booklet costs about $3, and I will be happy to provide contact and
)ordering information upon request.

)I would very much like to get in touch with other people who know
)and/or use the IPA Braille system (both to possibly find Braille
)transcribers who know it, as well as to "network" with others who
)either use Braille or are interested in it.

His email address is: 6500reng at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu