6.173 Qs: Citing e-texts, References in Slavic lg, Slow Spanish accent

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 9 07:09:03 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-173. Thu 09 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 126

Subject: 6.173 Qs: Citing e-texts, References in Slavic lg, Slow Spanish accent

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 16:37:04 +1200
From: Jan Tent (TENT_J at usp.ac.fj)
Subject: Citing e-texts

2)
Date:         Tue, 07 Feb 95 12:00:12 EST
From: Elena Rudnitskaya (EELGC at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)
Subject:      references in Slavic syntax

3)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 17:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From: jeffrey howard allen (jhallen at ucs.indiana.edu)
Subject: Slow Spanish accent

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 16:37:04 +1200
From: Jan Tent (TENT_J at usp.ac.fj)

Dear LINGUISTS,

This is not LINGUIST-L-specific, but my colleagues and I would
really welcome some wisdom on a citation problem.

How does one cite electronic versions of literary and other
texts brought down from the net/web? There are no page or
paragraph numbers and even the provenance of the text is not
always clear (e.g. from what print edition was it keyed-in or
scanned?).

The *MLA Handbook* (3rd edition, which is the latest we have),
and the AGPS *Style Manual* (the Australian standard) offer no
help. Indeed, has anyone in linguistic/literary studies put
together a set of consistent formats for citing
electronic-archived material, e-list contributions, e-texts,
e-journals etc.?

We would greatly appreciate some guidance, be it informed or
inspired.

Jan Tent
Department of Literature and Language
School of Humanities