6.181 Qs: French course, LaTex on PC, Ellipses, Assessments

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 9 20:20:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-181. Thu 09 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:

Subject: 6.181 Qs: French course, LaTex on PC, Ellipses, Assessments

                           REMINDER

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 18:54:06 PST
From: epstein at bend.UCSD.EDU (Richard Epstein)
Subject: french course

2)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 17:41:10 PST
From: ami at nli.com (Ami Kronfeld)
Subject: LaTex on PC

3)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 17:00:28 -0600 (CST)
From: pedersen at seas.smu.edu (Ted Pedersen)
Subject: ellipses

4)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 14:26:04 GMT
From: L Kelly (louise at ling.edinburgh.ac.uk)
Subject: Multiple Choice Assessments

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 18:54:06 PST
From: epstein at bend.UCSD.EDU (Richard Epstein)

I'm going to be teaching a course on `Structure of French' in the spring.
It's a course in a Linguistics department, intended for upper division
undergraduate students (many of whom are linguistics majors).  No knowledge
of French is necessary, but some background in linguistics
is assumed; lectures and all required readings will be in English.  The
content of the course depends on the instructor, and can cover any area
of French linguistics (phonology, syntax, sociolinguistics, etc. etc.).

I'd be grateful if people who have taught a similar course would be willing
to share any sort of reference material, e.g. syllabi, reading lists,
bibliography, etc.  In particular, does a suitable textbook exist at all?

I'll be happy to post a bibliographical summary.  Thanks very much in advance.

Rich Epstein.

p.s.  References to works written in French are also welcome (they could
help provide background reading for me).