6.185 IPA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 11 02:00:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-185. Fri 10 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 208

Subject: 6.185 IPA

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 09:26:19 +0800 (CST)
From: Gerard Gautier (gauier at cc.nsysu.edu.tw)
Subject: Re: 6.166 IPA

2)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 14:04:28 -0500
From: faber at lenny.haskins.yale.edu (ALICE FABER)
Subject: IPA

3)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 13:05:21 -0600 (CST)
From: wachal robert s (rwachal at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Subject: hachek

4)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 14:48:06 -0600 (CST)
From: Joseph P Stemberger (stemberg at maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.137 IPA

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 09:26:19 +0800 (CST)
From: Gerard Gautier (gauier at cc.nsysu.edu.tw)

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Hugh Buckingham (hbuck at salvador.speech.lsu.edu) wrote :

) [...] Also, if "hacek" means "little hook" as defined in
) Pullum and Ladusaw (p. 29), isn't it better related to the cedilla, which
) to me looks more like a little hook than the wedge???  Diacritic mania!
) Hugh Buckingham
)
 I read (probably in a book concerning history of french language)
that the word "cedilla" (well, its french equivalent "ce'dille") is
derived from the spanish "zedilla", meaning a little letter "z"...
So the hook shape would have come later from cursivation (?). (to my
knowledge, spanish does not make any use of cedilla, so why... ? Could
someone elaborate on this ?)

  Gerard Gautier

WEN-TZAO School         |   \|                     //     Gerard Gautier
 of Foreign Languages   |       /\    \|     .. \|  \
KAOHSIUNG - TAIWAN  _/   _/.. _/       (_S ..  _/ gauier at cc.nsysu.edu.tw