6.189 Innateness/ Language & Species

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 11 18:37:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-189. Sat 11 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 325

Subject: 6.189 Innateness/ Language & Species

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 12:13:54 -0700
From: wilcox at alcor.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox)
Subject: Re: 6.132 Innateness

2)
Date:         8 Feb 95 09:05:02 SAST-2
From: ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za
Subject:      6.136 Language and Species

3)
Date:    Fri, 10 Feb 95 19:01 PST
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
Subject: lg & species

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 12:13:54 -0700
From: wilcox at alcor.unm.edu (Sherman Wilcox)

Don Churma writes:

"This elephant is too big for any one "blind man" to figure out alone!"

Probably true, especially for this blind man, but we probably should keep
our hands firmly in contact with the beast anyway. For me, this means
taking to heart warnings such as Michael Studdert-Kennedy's:

"Characteristic motor systems have evolved for locomotion, predation,
consumption, mating. Matching perceptual systems have evolved to guide the
animan in these activities. The selection pressure shaping each species'
perceptuomotor capacities have come, in the first instance, from physical
properties of the world. By contrast, these perceptuomotor capacities
themselves must have played a crucial role in the form of a social species'
communication system. ... Certainly, specialized neuroanatomical signaling
devices have often evolved, but they have typically done so by modifying
pre-existing structures just enough for them to perform their new function
without appreciable loss of their old. ... Language has evolved within the
constraints of pre-existing perceptual and motor systems. We surrender much
of our power to understand that evolution if we disregard the properties of
those systems."

And...

"If there is indeed a universal set of linguistic features that owes
nothing to the nonlinguistic capacities of talkers and listeners, their
biological origin must be due to some quantal evolutionary jump, a
structure producing mutation. While modern biologists may look for
favorably on evolutionary discontinuities that did Darwin, we are not
justified in accepting discontinuity until we have ruled continity out.
This has not been done. On the contrary, the primacy of linguistic form has
been a cardinal, untested assumption of modern phonology -- with the result
that phonology is sustained in grand isolation from its surrounding
disciplines."

Sherman Wilcox
Dept. of Linguistics
University of New Mexico