6.198 Qs: Nasal palatals, Articles, Summer Confs/Wrkshops, Old Spanish

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 13 06:48:40 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-198. Mon 13 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 139

Subject: 6.198 Qs: Nasal palatals, Articles, Summer Confs/Wrkshops, Old Spanish

                           REMINDER

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 12:09:56 +1000
From: Knut Olawsky (olawsky at sapir.ling.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Subject: Qs: Nasal palatals

2)
Date:   Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:40:08 -1000
From: Caroline Steele (csteele at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Subject: articles

3)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 22:49:27 -0800
From: ddolan at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Subject: Summer Conferences/Workshops

4)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 11:08:02 CST
From: GA5123 at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU
Subject:  Cedilla in Old Spanish

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 12:09:56 +1000
From: Knut Olawsky (olawsky at sapir.ling.uni-duesseldorf.de)

In Dagbani, a Gur language spoken in Northern Ghana, there is a
phonological difference between the palatal nasal (in IPA: n plus
downward stroke on the left, I transcribe it /N/ here) and a palatalized
/n/ = here: [nJ] (in IPA: small j lifted up after n).
Ex.: (nyee) = /Nee/ (with palatal n) = "nose",
             */nee/ (with "normal" alveolar /n/: ungramm.)
c.f. (neei) = /nJeei/ or /neei/ = "wake up". In this case the
palatalization is optional.
Now I wonder whether there is also a PHONETIC distinction of the sounds:
1. an articulatory difference between palatal and palatalized /n/
2. an acustically perceptible distinction (I havn't achieved to recognize
the difference on the spectrogram).
I would be grateful to hear your comments on this.