6.211 Sum: Written signs in speech

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:57:31 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-211. Mon 13 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 393

Subject: 6.211 Sum: Written signs in speech

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 18:55:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Dewi W. Evans" (DEWI at ollamh.ucd.ie)
Subject: Sum: Written Signs in Speech

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 18:55:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Dewi W. Evans" (DEWI at ollamh.ucd.ie)

I'm very grateful to those who responded - with such interesting references,
comments and examples - to my query about written signs being transferred to
speech, and apologize that I couldn't thank everyone individually.
Those who replied were:

Agnes Roman (aromi at eratos.erin.utoronto.ca)
Peter Jones (jonep at dg13.cec.be)
Deborah Milam Berkley (dberkley at u.washington.edu)
Karen Gammelgaard (Karen.Gammelgaard at easteur-orient.uio.no)
Gail Stygall (stygall at u.washington.edu)
"Rebecca Larche Moreton (Becky)" (MLRLM at VM.CC.OLEMISS.EDU)
Robert Dale (rdale at microsoft.com)
"Karen S. Chung" (karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw)
Peter-Arno Coppen (U250005 at VM.uci.kun.nl)
"Dr. Christian K. Nelson" (CNELSON at VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU)
Philippe Mennecier (ferry at cimrs1.mnhn.fr)
"E.H. Klein-v.d.Laaken" (klein at let.rug.nl)
Stephen P Spackman (spackman at dfki.uni-sb.de)
"John M. Jeep" (JJEEP at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU)
Bill King (WFKING at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU)
James Kirchner (JPKIRCHNER at aol.com)

My original posting asked about such sentences as:

        We used to believe that "real" men didn't show their emotions
        which I thought could be expressed in speech as:

        We used to believe that real - in quotation marks - men ...
or
        We used to believe that quote real (unquote) men ...
or
        by 'imitating' double quotation marks with one or two fingers of both
        hands when pronouncing 'real'.

        Other examples were the use of the word 'period':

        Elvis was the greatest there ever was, period.

and 'underline', 'unterstreichen' and 'souligner' to mean 'emphasize'.
 Roman Agnes (aromi at eratos.erin.utoronto.ca)

        just a few exemples from Hungarian;

        1. "Megirod a leckedet, pont." = You'll write your homework, period.
                (Meaning: strict order, no further discussion permitted.)

        2. "Eljott Kati is, zarojelben megjegyzem, nagyon ideges volt..."
                = Kathy came too, [and] I note in parentheses, she was very
                  nervous.
                (Meaning: I make a "side" comment)
 JONES Peter (jonep at dg13.cec.be)

The French use 'full stop' with even more emphasis - point, a la ligne.
 Deborah Milam Berkley (dberkley at u.washington.edu)

This isn't a serious scholarly answer to your query.

Have you ever heard Victor Borge's routine on so-called "phonetic punctuation"?
 It's awfully funny.  He does
it on the video of his 80th birthday celebration at Wolf Trap in the U.S.
 Karen.Gammelgaard at easteur-orient.uio.no

A good introduction to problems of transferring written signs to speech and
vice versa is

        Josef Vachek (1989), Written Language Revisited,
                 Amsterdam -Philadelphia : John Benjamins.

Your example with the use of period meaning no more discussion necessary has
 equivalents in Czech and Danish.

Czech: "Elvis byl nejvetsi zpevak vsech dob, tecka." (tecka = period)
Danish: "Elvis var tidernes st|rste, punktum" (punktum = period)
 Gail Stygall (stygall at u.washington.edu)