6.214 FYI: Dependency Grammar

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 14 07:03:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-214. Tue 14 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 71

Subject: 6.214 FYI: Dependency Grammar

Date: 23 Jan 95 16:44:47 EST
From: Dan Maxwell (100101.2276 at compuserve.com)
Subject: dependency grammar

Date: 23 Jan 95 16:44:47 EST
From: Dan Maxwell (100101.2276 at compuserve.com)

My draft of a booklength manuscript on "Unification Dependency Grammar" is
now available via anonymous ftp from

julius.ohio-state.edu.ps.gz

in the directory

 \pub\HPSG\papers\UDG

via the commands

mget *.* (for all files) or

get (filename) (for any one file)

I am also told that the URL(whatever that is) is ftp//
ling.ohio-state.edu/pub/HPSG/papers/UDG.

Note the suffix .gz on the filenames. This means that the files are
compressed and need to be uncompressed via the command "gunzip". But if
you are accessing from a www browser, then the uncompression usually
occurs automatically.

Due to the sometimes less than perfect compatibility of different computer
systems, some of the trees and feature structures in the version you
receive may be somewhat garbled. If so, let me know and I will send you a
paper copy of the unreadable parts.

Even linguists not generally interested in formal syntax might want to
look at chapter 1, since this is not very technical, covers general
background and provides a general comparison of dependency structure and
constituent structure. Chapter 2 deals with the lexicon, and as in any
lexicalist model is necessarily considerably more technical. But if you
understand this, the other chapters are more or less self-contained, I
think. In other words, you could read and generally understand chapter 6,
for example, without reading chapters 3-5.

There is possibly no individual concept in this text which is completely
new. It is rather a new combination of old concepts. A particularly large
debt is owed to HPSG.

Dan Maxwell
100101.2276 at compuserve.com