6.215 Comparative Method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 14 07:10:52 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-215. Tue 14 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 103

Subject: 6.215 Comparative Method

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 15:56:44 EST
From: amr at phoebe.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Re:  6.168 Comparative Method, Speech Error

2)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 10:31:30 +1100 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject: Comparative method vs DNA

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 15:56:44 EST
From: amr at phoebe.cs.wayne.edu

Paul Purdom makes some excellent points re DNA sequences and languages,
but it would not be fair to suggest that those of us interested in
language classification are necessarily totally ignorant of the work
in biology.  Long discussions with some of the leading biologists in
the English-speaking world on this very point took place during the
Evolution conference at Cold Spring Harbor a few years back, and I
am afraid that the biologists there seemed much less sanguine about
assuming that linguists simply need to emulate them.  There are major
differences having to do with the nature and quantity of the data,
as well as with the fact that we in linguists can enjoy the benefits of
the regularity (or even quasi-regularity) of sound change, which seems to
have no analogue over there.  In brief, the linguistic work is much much
easier and much more qualitative, and possibly more conclusive.

Alexis MR