6.220 Qs: Greek pronoun, Verbal parody, Vietnamese & Thai, THERM

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:22:27 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-220. Wed 15 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 128

Subject: 6.220 Qs: Greek pronoun, Verbal parody, Vietnamese & Thai, THERM

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:53:24 EST
From: lmf at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu
Subject: Greek polite pronoun

2)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 15:18:35 EST
From: Debbie Rossen-Knill (drossen at linc.cis.upenn.edu)
Subject: examples of verbal parody wanted!

3)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:19:06 +1300
From: jaejung.song at stonebow.otago.ac.nz (jaejung song)

4)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 14:09:48 +0300
From: Institute of Linguistics (sysop at iling.msk.su)
Subject: THERM EXTRACTING

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:53:24 EST
From: lmf at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu

I am doing research on address pronouns in Greek, and I'd like to find
out when the polite use of the 2nd person plural 'esis' (i.e. directed
to one person) entered the language.  After having checked many of the
major etymological dictionaries (Demetrakos, etc.) and histories of the
language with no success, I wonder if anyone can direct me to a source
that might have this information.
Thanks.

Lorna Feldman: lmf at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu