6.218 Qs: Complementizers, Proportional, Pseudocleft, Speech rate

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:16:05 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-218. Wed 15 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 131

Subject: 6.218 Qs: Complementizers, Proportional, Pseudocleft, Speech rate

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 13:03:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: Q: declarative complementizers

2)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 21:44:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: LJONSSON at MACALSTR.EDU
Subject: Query: "Proportional constructions"

3)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 00:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: JORGE2 at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: query about the term 'pseudocleft'

4)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 11:26:22 +0100
From: Wim van Dommelen (wim.dommelen at avh.unit.no)
Subject: speech rate and weight

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 13:03:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)

In Middle Egyptian, there is a unique contrast.  There is a particle
iw that most naturally is analyzed as an overt complementizer.  We
obtain the following contrast:

sdm.f           "when/if/because/etc he hears"
iw sdm.f        "he hears"

sdm.n.f         "when/if/because/etc he heard"
iw sdm.n.f      "he heard"

Notice that the markedness relations appear backward: iw apparently
marking the unmarked simple declarative.
Q: are there other systems that employ an overt declarative
contrasting with zero (zero having marked semantic effects)?  And
crucially, what is the etymology of such a particle??