6.221 Sum: Progressive with future time reference

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 16 01:39:15 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-221. Wed 15 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 187

Subject: 6.221 Sum: Progressive with future time reference

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:07:00 -0400
From: bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
Subject: Sum: progressive with future time reference

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:07:00 -0400
From: bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)

Some time ago I posted a query concerning the possible existence of
languages in which the morpheme expressing the notion of "progressive" may
be used with future time reference, as in English:
- I am leaving tomorrow.
The coexistence of progressive and a future time adverbial is the decisive
factor.
I started from a very scanty piece of knowledge: besides English, I only
know of Icelandic (quoted in a paper by Karen Ebert, that will appear in a
volume on tense and aspect), and possibly Kinyarwanda (but I need more data
concerning this language).
As I suspected, this feature seems to be very rare.
I got only two answers. The first one is from John Koontz
(koontz at alpha.bldr.nist.gov).
Since it is not particularly long, I reproduce it entirely:

The Dhegiha branch of Mississippi Valley Siouan all form progressives by
pairing the simple verb with a positional auxiliary, and omitting the
plural/proximate marker that otherwise occurs in the plural forms and the
third person singular proximate.

     dhatha=i       he ate/eats        dhatha=i       they ate/eat
     dhathe         he (obv) ate/eats

     dhathe=akha    he is eating       dhathe=ama     they are eating

The usual reading of the simple form is past/aorist.  There are special
auxiliary and/or enclitic constructions for habitual.

The future is formed with the enclitic =tte, which requires the auxiliary
following it.

     dhathe=tta=akha he will eat       dhathe=tta=ama they will eat

The future without the auxiliary expresses polite requests, and there is
also a form =tta=i=the (no auxiliary; basically the evidential of the
future) that has the reading `shall surely'.

     dhathe=tta=i=the he/they shall surely eat

Note also:

     dhatha=bi=ama they say that he ate/eats  (not the same ama, I believe)
     dhatha=i=the  it seems that he ate/eats

John Koontz

Answering a further request of clarification, Koontz kindly added the
following (the letter B presumably stands for my syrname):

)
)     dhatha=i       he ate/eats        dhatha=i       they ate/eat
)     dhathe         he (obv) ate/eats
)
)     dhathe=akha    he is eating       dhathe=ama     they are eating

B) WHY ARE THERE TWO FORMS: akha  and  ama?

These auxiliaries are identical to the definite articles, and like them code
the shape/posture/motion of the subject.  Historically there are derived
from positional verbs and particles.
   =akha is the singular/motionless/proximate form
   =ama  is the plural or singular/moving/proximate form

Other forms are used in the first and second persons, generally derived from
the sitting article/auxiliary, e.g., mi~khe `I the sitting', ni~khe `you
the sitting'.  The stem is dhi~khe `(he) the sitting'.

)The usual reading of the simple form is past/aorist.  There are special
)auxiliary and/or enclitic constructions for habitual.

B) YOUR GLOSS INDICATES INDICATES PRESENT MEANING, NON ONLY PAST/AORIST
B) MEANING.

A present, non-progressive reading is possible in appropriate contexts.  I
believe such forms are essentially nomic.

)The future is formed with the enclitic =tte, which requires the auxiliary
)following it.
)
)     dhathe=tta=akha he will eat       dhathe=tta=ama they will eat

B) DOES IT HAVE PROGRESSIVE AND FUTURE MEANING, OR ONLY FUTURE?

No trace at all of progressive reading that I have detected.  The forms
without the auxiliary are limited to those mentioned, i.e., the future of
surity with =the appended, and the future of polite requests, used without
further marking, in the second person.

)The future without the auxiliary expresses polite requests, and there is
)also a form =tta=i=the (no auxiliary; basically the evidential of the
)future) that has the reading `shall surely'.
)
)     dhathe=tta=i=the he/they shall surely eat
)
)Note also:
)
)     dhatha=bi=ama they say that he ate/eats  (not the same ama, I believe)
)     dhatha=i=the  it seems that he ate/eats
)
)John Koontz

Similar patterns occur in all of the Dhegiha languages, i.e., Omaha-Ponca,
Osage, Kansa (Kaw), and Quapaw.

The second answer is from Lars Anders Kulbrandstad
(LarsAnders.Kulbrandstad at hamarlh.no).
Unfortunately, there are some misterious characters, but the content is
sufficiently clear.

There is no fullfledged progressive construction in Norwegian, but we have
something that still might be of interest to you.

Dialects in the south-eastern part of the country have a future
construction consisting of the auxilliary "bli" (literally =3D "get, become"=)
in the present tense + present participle of the main verb. The sentence
corresponding to "I will be going to Oslo tomorrow" would be "Je blir
draens (=3D "I + get/become + going") tel Oslo i m=E5r=E5!"

I hope this may be of some interest to somebody, or maybe stimulate other
people to provide further information on this matter. I am still eager to
receive new input.
Thanks to those who responded. Best,
PM
                               _- _   _
                           _-_(   )_(  )
                          /  (   (  )    )
                         (  -_ ( ) /  _-_-)
                          \__    ( _-_-_)    ||||
                             (_-_)/          ____
   Pier Marco Bertinetto                   ///////
                                          -------
  Scuola Normale Superiore               ///////
   p.za dei Cavalieri 7                 -------
     I-56126  PISA                     ///////
                                      -------
   tel. ++39/(0)50/509111            ///////
   fax: ++39/(0)50/563513           -------
                                   ///////
           NB: alternative EMAIL addresses:
        /bertinet at sns.it/  /bertinetto at sns.it/