6.240 Qs: Gender marking, Yakut, Phonetic dictionaries, Kyrgyz

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 18 17:01:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-240. Sat 18 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 121

Subject: 6.240 Qs: Gender marking, Yakut, Phonetic dictionaries, Kyrgyz

                           REMINDER

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:44:22 +0000 (GMT)
From: Maik Gibson (llrgbson at reading.ac.uk)
Subject: Loss of gender marking

2)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:17:29 -0500 (EST)
From: nvinokur at polar.Bowdoin.EDU (Nadezhda I. Vinokurova)
Subject: the Yakut(Sakha) language

3)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 12:10 CDT
From: Jean DeMerit (DEMERIT at macc.wisc.edu)
Subject: phonetic dictionaries

4)
Date:   Fri, 17 Feb 1995 16:18:46 -1000
From: Ricky Jacobs (rjacobs at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Subject: Kyrgyz

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:44:22 +0000 (GMT)
From: Maik Gibson (llrgbson at reading.ac.uk)

When a language loses gender marking in some aspect of its system
(verbal/ adjectival inflections, pronouns etc.), how common is it that
the originally feminine form is generalised, rather than the masculine?
Would it be correct to assume that the masculine form is generally
treated as unmarked, in contrast to the feminine, and so will normally be
used in a resulting system without the gender marking?

Thoughts, data and references please!

Maik Gibson
University of Reading