6.251 Progressive with future time reference

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 19 19:59:43 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-251. Sun 19 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 71

Subject: 6.251  Progressive with future time reference

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 17:06:44 EST
From: amurzaku at microlytics.com (Aleksander Murzaku)
Subject: Re: 6.221 Sum: Progressive with future time reference

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 17:06:44 EST
From: amurzaku at microlytics.com (Aleksander Murzaku)

At 07:39 PM 2/15/95 -0600, The Linguist List wrote:
)Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:07:00 -0400
)From: bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
)Subject: Sum: progressive with future time reference
)
)Some time ago I posted a query concerning the possible existence of
)languages in which the morpheme expressing the notion of "progressive" may
)be used with future time reference, as in English:
)- I am leaving tomorrow.
)The coexistence of progressive and a future time adverbial is the decisive
)factor.

I'm sorry I have missed the original request from Pier Marco.

Albanian seems to have the same features. The progressive is formed, for both
present and imperfect past, by putting a particle [po] in front of the verb.
The particle is the same for all the forms of the verb.

Examples
^^^^^^^^
1. How the progressive is created:
        ("po" is equivalent to the suffix "-ing" in English)
      a) ai  po  ecte
        [he -ing walk(past imperfect)]
      b) ne  po  ecim
        [we -ing walk(present)]
2. Not every verb can be combined with a future time adverbial (this depends
   from the semantic features of the verb and from the tense - only present)
      a)  po  vi                  neser
        [-ing come(1st person sg) tomorrow]
      b)  po  shkojme           pas nje ore
        [-ing go(1st person pl) in  one hour]

If anything is not clear, please, let me know.

AM

Aleksander Murzaku

Microlytics, Inc.
Two Tobey Village Office Park   --   Pittsford, New York 14534
Tel. 716 248 9150 Ext. 118           Fax. 716 248 3868
E-mail: amurzaku at microlytics.com     WWW: