6.255 Dick Armey's slip and correction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 20 18:27:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-255. Mon 20 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 165

Subject: 6.255 Dick Armey's slip and correction

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:59:08 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK ROBERT HALE (hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca)
Subject: Re: 6.249 Dick Armey's slip and correction

2)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 21:01:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Phil Gaines (pgaines at u.washington.edu)

3)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 02:04:38 PST
From: Geoffrey Nunberg (nunberg at parc.xerox.com)
Subject: Dick Armey's slip

4)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 06:35:51 -0600 (CST)
From: wachal robert s (rwachal at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)

5)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:45:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Hugh Buckingham (hbuck at salvador.speech.lsu.edu)

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:59:08 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK ROBERT HALE (hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca)

I'm sorry if this was in the original post, but it
seems obvious to me that phonological misprocessing
is not the only possible type of "slip" we could
be dealing with, indeed, I don't know the "speech
error" literature all that well but "fak" for
"frank" seems totally out as a likely error, in my
view (has anyone looked at the phonological context?).
Surely the suspicion must be that this is a privately
used slur of Representative Frank that crept into
public discourse -- i.e., it was a register
problem rather than a phonological one.

It would seem unfortunate (just to respond to the
"political agenda" part of an earlier post) if
we as linguists refused to bring our competence
to bear on questions such as this for fear of
being "politicized".

Mark