6.265 IPA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:11:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-265. Tue 21 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 92

Subject: 6.265 IPA

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 95 20:06:39 EST
From: Terry Lynn Irons (t.irons at msuacad.morehead-st.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.241 IPA

2)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 16:51:07 -0400
From: bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
Subject: IPA

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 95 20:06:39 EST
From: Terry Lynn Irons (t.irons at msuacad.morehead-st.edu)

Much of this recent argument about the IPA seems to me to be moot,
for the real question is, how accurate is the graphic representation
that we are relating to some (spoken) utterance?  Of late, I have been
working with some materials in the archives of the Linguistic Atlas of
the North Central States, much of which represents the work of the late
Raven McDavid.  Raven used the elongated S, instead of the s wedge.
But that is really irrelevant.  We know that each symbol approximates
the same sound, the palatal fricative, which has little range of
allophonic variation.

The larger question becomes, what is the value of graphic phonetic
(Phonemic representation is a different issue) representation, given
that each participant-observer has a different phonemic/phonetic
system?  Can we all learn the subtle diacritics and agree on
cardinal sounds?  What vowel sounds did Raven see as basic?
George Dorrill and other living students of his know, but what about the
rest of us who approach his written records?

The answer may be that the IPA has little real value and that we all
must learn to use equipment to analyze language in acoustic terms.

--
Terry Lynn Irons        t.irons at msuacad.morehead-st.edu
Voice Mail:             (606) 783-5164
Snail Mail:             UPO 604 Morehead, KY 40351