6.266 FYI: Dependency grammar, South African confs, BISFAI

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:24:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-266. Tue 21 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 146

Subject: 6.266 FYI: Dependency grammar, South African confs, BISFAI

Date: 19 Feb 95 17:59:11 EST
From: Dan Maxwell (100101.2276 at compuserve.com)
Subject: dependency grammar:corrections, reactions, reformatting

2)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 22:19:03 +0200 (SAST)
From: Rodrik Wade (WADE at mtb.und.ac.za)
Subject: WWW page: South African Conferences

3)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 13:13:29 +0200
From: Daniel Radzinski (dr at tovna.co.il)
Subject: BISFAI DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Date: 19 Feb 95 17:59:11 EST
From: Dan Maxwell (100101.2276 at compuserve.com)

Apparently I made a few mistakes in the posting about my manuscript on
dependency grammar. This is curious, because I apparently got
everything right on the earlier posting on the same topic to the DG
and HPSG lists. At least two people have informed me that they
successfully ftp-ed everything, but at least two others have had
problems. The address should be:

julius.ling.ohio-state.edu

The suffixes .ps.gz on the file-names (not the address) indicate that
they are compressed, so you need to uncompress them using the command
'gunzip'.

The slashes in the directory address should be '/' and not '\'.

Presumably because of some sort of software error, I cannot read things in my
inbox. But I put three of the reactions to my previous posting there before I
had grown accustomed to this problem, so I cannot answer these directly, but
will now try to do so through the linguist list.

To the respondent from Finland: you wanted a numerical address. It is:
128.146.172.200

To the respondent from Taiwan (or was it HongKong?). You noted a
problem with chapter 7. The general problem has now been corrected,
but there may still be a problem with one or two of the examples. If
so, I can send an ASCII file, as you suggested, or a paper copy of
these examples, if you send me a regular mail address, but in either
case you have to write to me again. I am now used to reading my mail
and replying if necessary, or at least writing down the essential
information, before downloading. Nevertheless, I hope the Compuserve
people solve the problem soon.

To the "computer illiterate/dyslexic" (your own term): surely you can
find someone there who is able to help you with the ftp procedure. The
university you are at must have more than its share of experts in this
area. But I can also send you an ASCII version of chapter 1 via email,
if you write to me again.

For the sake of making my files more compatible with the software
linguists most often use, Andreas Kathol has advised me to reformat my
manuscript in LaTeX.  Unfortunately, he doesn't know where to get a
LaTeX software packet for use with PCs (what I use). Can anyone help
by giving me a site to ftp from? I am in the process of creating a
LaTex version of the files.

Dan Maxwell
100101,2276 at compuserve.com