6.269 Qs: Netese, Old Armenian, Shanghainese & Hokkien, Reviews

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 22 12:39:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-269. Wed 22 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 107

Subject: 6.269 Qs: Netese, Old Armenian, Shanghainese & Hokkien, Reviews

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 15:12:09 -0600 (CST)
From: haag at monk.nhn.uoknor.edu
Subject: talking on the net

2)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 95 17:38:02 EST
From: amr at frigga.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Query: Old Armenian

3)
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 95 17:40:37 SST
From: David Gil (ELLGILD%NUSVM.bitnet at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU)
Subject:      Seeking Shanghainese & Hokkien Speakers

4)
Date:   Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:20:15 +0200 (EET)
From: Esa Itkonen (eitkonen at utu.fi)
Subject: writing reviews

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 15:12:09 -0600 (CST)
From: haag at monk.nhn.uoknor.edu

My husband is a heavy user of e-mail and laments that he does not
know of a good verb that means `conversing by e-mail'.  `Talking'
implies that one does it in real time with an interlocutor, and
`writing' implies a letter.

Throwing down the gauntlet, he doubts that we linguists are clever
enough to come up with anything likely to be picked up by the general
electronic community, judging by the stultifying quality of our
professional jargon.

Any takers?         Marcia Haag