6.258 Linguistic Human rights (Latvia's language policy)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 22 17:59:59 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-258. Mon 20 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 113

Subject: 6.258 Linguistic Human rights (Latvia's language policy)

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:48:02 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK ROBERT HALE (hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca)
Subject: Re: 6.192 Latvia's language policy

2)
Date:          Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:33:38 +0100
From: "Tove Skutnabb-Kangas" (TOVESK at snow.ruc.dk)
Subject:       linguistic human rights violations; Latvia

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:48:02 -0500 (EST)
From: MARK ROBERT HALE (hale1 at alcor.concordia.ca)

I find the suggestion that the imposition of "national
languages" (= the dialect of those temporarily in power)
on minority populations is acceptable to linguists quite
shocking, and references to such (non-linguistic) issues
as "citizenship" and "ethnicity" disturbing.  Surely,
as linguists, we do not favor any LEGAL restrictions
on language/dialect use under any circumstances.  If
native (or what do I care, non-native) speakers of Russian
in Latvia want to have a Russian-language TV-station,
newspaper, or whatever, who amongst us would favor
forbidding it?  Am I missing something?

Mark