6.287 Qs: Annual meetings, Syntactic diagrams, Word lists, Jargon

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 23 19:39:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-287. Thu 23 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 159

Subject: 6.287 Qs: Annual meetings, Syntactic diagrams, Word lists, Jargon

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:34:43 GMT
From: annathor at kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it  (Anna M. Thornton)
Subject: Query about Linguistic Societies Annual Meetings

2)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 95 10:57:15 +0000
From: "R.Hudson" (uclyrah at ucl.ac.uk)
Subject: syntactic diagrams

3)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:03:05 +0100
From: Cecile Fabre (Cecile.Fabre at irisa.fr)
Subject: need compound word lists

4)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 10:05:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Timothy Miller (millert at babbage.csee.usf.edu)
Subject: Linguist jargon

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:34:43 GMT
From: annathor at kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it  (Anna M. Thornton)

The Italian Linguistic Society (Societa' di Linguistica Italiana, SLI) was
founded in 1967, and has held annual conferences ever since. In the course of
the annual conference, the general assembly of members takes place. So far,
each annual conference has addressed a different topic. To give an idea, I
list the topics of the conferences held in the last few years:
1991    Tendencies in Contemporary Italian
1992    Italian as a Second or Foreign Language
1993    Dialects and National Languages
1994    Language and Cognition

It is my opinion that, in order to promote a wider attendance of members
active in all fields of linguistics, and better opportunities to communicate
ideas and results of research, we should abandon the formula of having
conferences on specialized topics, and should instead hold our annual meeting
in the form of a forum in which recent work in all areas of language
studies can be presented and discussed. Special topics could be the object of
parasesssions.  I have made this proposal in last year's general assembly, and
it will be discussed by the executive committee on April 7, 1995.

In order to provide the committee with useful data to make a decision, I would
like to collect information from other national and regional Linguistic
Societies on the following points:

How often do you hold meetings?
Is there a fixed topic for each conference?
Are there parasessions on fixed topics?
Are you satisfied with the formula you are currently following?
Can you point to any major drawback that a given system has,in your experience?

Answers and comments from members of societal boards as well as from
individual members of societies will be welcome.

Please reply directly to me:
annathor at kant.irmkant.rm.cnr.it
Anna M. Thornton
Via F. Fiorentini 106
Pal 5
A 16
00159
Roma Italy
I will post a summary on Linguist if there is enough interest.
Thank you in advance.
Anna M. Thornton