6.289 Qs: Appearance of words, Shanghaihua, Discontinuous Constituency

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 23 19:53:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-289. Thu 23 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 100

Subject: 6.289 Qs: Appearance of words, Shanghaihua, Discontinuous Constituency

                           REMINDER

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:19:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Danielle Haas (etilib at halcyon.com)
Subject: Query on physical appearance of words

2)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 10:50:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Ashley Marie Williams (awilliam at reed.edu)
Subject: Shanghaihua speakers wanted

3)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:06:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Stuart Robinson (srobinso at reed.edu)
Subject: Discontinuous Constituency

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:19:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Danielle Haas (etilib at halcyon.com)

We are a group of environmental scientists who have been pondering a
question.  Has anyone done research on emotional responses to the
*physical appearance* of words or groups of letters?  For example,
'toxic', 'dioxin' or the 'oxi' combination.  Why do people have a fear of
'dioxin' but not 'furan' (another toxic chemical).  Obviously, some
reaction is created by the media, but is there something else involved?
Do certain combinations of letters (e.g. 'oxi') elicit an emotional response?

Has anyone done research on this, or know of anyone involved with
psycholinguistics or semiotics who might be familiar with this topic?

Will summarize for list.

Thanks for any assistance.

Joyce Lundstrom
Epidemiologist