6.05 Sum: Translating IPA fonts between Macs and DOS/ Windows

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 11 01:15:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-05. Tue 10 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 100

Subject: 6.05 Sum: Translating IPA fonts between Macs and DOS/ Windows

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:33:34 -0700
From: hammond at convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Mike Hammond)

2)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 1994 08:27:57 -0700
From: hammond at convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Mike Hammond)
Subject: more on transfering between Macs and Windows

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:33:34 -0700
From: hammond at convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Mike Hammond)
Subject: Translating IPA between Macs and DOS/ Windows

Everybody-

Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent posting about
translating IPA between Macs and DOS/Windows. (A special
thanks to Albert Bickford of SIL for testing out the
translations with me.) The easiest solution that works at
this point seems to be to use the SIL IPA fonts. The three
fonts in question have the same mappings. There are two
glitches here to keep in mind if you're going to do this.

First, I understand that these fonts don't display as
naturally in Windows. (Not being a Windows person, I don't
know if this is a necessary problem or if there are better
displayed fonts out there for Windows. Nor do I know whether
these fonts print well for Windows people.)

Second, the fonts in the two systems have different names.
For Windows, the fonts are: SILDoulosIPA, SILManuscriptIPA,
and SILSophiaIPA. For Macs, the fonts are: SILDoulosIPA-
Regular, SILManuscriptIPA-Regular, SILSophiaIPA-Regular. This
is not insurmountable, however, as one can either i) rename
the fonts accordingly [just rename them in your system file
or fonts folder for Mac people], or ii) go in and edit the
RTF files so that the appropriate names are present before
converting the RTF file.

(I don't know if this different naming is a function of when
I got the fonts I use or a genuine difference in naming
across the two platforms.)

Now the proposal I'd make is that, if these fonts are still
free and available via anonymous ftp, that we should all try
to use them so that linguistics papers can be exchanged and
archived electronically.

Mike H.