6.07 FYI: Mac Parallel Concordancer, Arizona/WWW, Hellenistic Greek

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 11 02:13:28 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-07. Tue 10 Jan 1995. ISSN: 178-4875. Lines: 135

Subject: 6.07 FYI: Mac Parallel Concordancer, Arizona/WWW, Hellenistic Greek

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 94 12:10:19 CST
From: barlow at ruf.rice.edu (Michael Barlow)
Subject: Mac Parallel Concordancer Available

2)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 07:54:16 -0700
From: hammond at convx1.ccit.arizona.edu (Mike Hammond)
Subject: Arizona and the Web

3)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 00:31:55 +0800 (WST)
From: "James K. Tauber" (jtauber at tartarus.uwa.edu.au)
Subject: FYI: Hellenistic Greek Linguistics resources

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 94 12:10:19 CST
From: barlow at ruf.rice.edu (Michael Barlow)

Before Christmas I sent a message to the list about a Mac concordance
program called MonoConc. That program is now available as MonoConc.hqx
from the ftp site at Rice University. To retrieve the program, ftp to
ftp.rice.edu and connect to the directory pub/ling.

MonoConc is a spin-off of another program I have been working on, which
is ParaConc. ParaConc is a concordance program that works with parallel
texts, i.e., two texts (translations) that have been aligned so that
sentence number N (or linguistic unit N) in language A is lined up with
sentence N in language B.  ParaConc itself does not do any alignment;
hence the texts must be aligned manually (i.e., with a word processor)
or by using another program.

Once each text is loaded into the program, a search can be performed. As
with MonoConc, a word, part-of-word, or phrase can be entered. The
program produces a numbered key-word-in-context concordance based on the
occurrence of the search term in text A. A second window displays the
sentences in text B that contain the translations of the concordance
lines. The concordance lines can be sorted 1L or 1R and the results can
be saved or printed.

I am making ParaConc available to the academic community as a standalone
shareware program. I would be happy to receive corpora (parallel or
single) in exchange.  Corpora for our use at Rice University or for
distribution to a wider community are all welcome. ParaConc is available
by ftp from ftp.rice.edu in the directory pub/ling. The program (on a
disk) and manual can be purchased from Athelstan (800-598-3880).

Questions, complaints, and requests for different versions of the
software can be sent to me. I am also interested in making contact with
other linguists working or thinking about working with parallel texts
for research and language teaching.

Michael Barlow
Dept of Linguistics
Rice University