6.18 Qs: Wh-non-fronting, Swahili, Middle English, Address request

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 13 04:49:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-18. Thu 12 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 169

Subject: 6.18 Qs: Wh-non-fronting, Swahili, Middle English, Address request

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 11:01:20 -0600 (CST)
From: Steven Schaufele (fcosws at firefly.prairienet.org)
Subject: Q: wh-non-fronting

2)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 13:54:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: Q:  Swahili tense-aspect

3)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 14:06:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Vincent DeCaen (decaen at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: Q English a-V-ing

4)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 13:20:31 EST
From: decio at mace.cc.purdue.edu (Gabriel Decio)
Subject: request for address

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 11:01:20 -0600 (CST)
From: Steven Schaufele (fcosws at firefly.prairienet.org)

In connection with a possible paper topic, i'm interested in tracking
down some scholarly discussions of either optional or obligatory failure
to front wh-elements and similar constituents.

First of all, what if anything has been said about the fact that in
English it is possible for a wh-element not to be fronted in an echo-
question or when it is given heavy emphasis?  Are there any perspicuous
syntactic analyses of strings like 'You gave Paula WHAT?' as opposed to
'What did you give Paula?' around anywhere?  What about similar pheno-
mena in other languages?

Secondly, there are several languages known to allow multiple syntactic
wh-fronting.  Dana McDaniel and Catherine Rudin have discussed a few such
languages, as have i myself (cf. refs. below).  I'd like to know if there
are any languages other than those discussed by McDaniel, Rudin, and me
that are known to have this property.  I'd particularly like to know of
any such languages that allow pronominal-fronting only optionally.  I.e.,
even if it's normal for wh-elements and/or other pronominal constituents
to be fronted, even if it's normal for several such elements to be fron-
ted together in a single clause so that in the typical clause all wh-
elements end up being fronted, is it possible for some to be fronted and
others to remain in situ?  Vedic Sanskrit is such a language; i want to
know of others.

Any tips welcome; i'll summarize for the list.

REFERENCES:
McDaniel, Dana.  1989.  Partial and Multiple Wh-Movement.  NLLT 7:565-604.

Rudin, Catherine.  1988.  On Multiple Question and Multiple Wh Fronting.
NLLT 6:445-501.

Schaufele, Steven.  1988.  Where's my NP?  Non-Transformational Analyses
of Vedic Pronominal Fronting.  Studies in the Linguistic Sciences 18.2:
129-162.

Dr. Steven Schaufele
712 West Washington
Urbana, IL  61801
217-344-8240
fcosws at prairienet.org

**** O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum! ***
*** Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis! ***