6.29 Sum: Semiotics, Syllable appendectomies

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 14 13:36:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-29. Sat 14 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 236

Subject: 6.29 Sum: Semiotics, Syllable appendectomies

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 1995 15:57:51 +0000
From: D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk
Subject:  Semiotics Summary

2)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject: Summary re Syllable appendectomies

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 1995 15:57:51 +0000
From: D.W.Salt at derby.ac.uk

Semiotics and Linguistics

Late last year I posted a query on whether anyone had a view on the
relationship betweeen semiotics and linguistics and whether some kind
of semiotic analysis can be used in parsing.Thanks to the select few
who responded - either its a boring question or we are on to
something new here!

Chris Nelson gave a very clear summary of the basics of semiotics as
follows:
)The original statement on the relationship between semiology (the
)study of signs which was initiated in the modern era on the
)continent) and linguistics was made by the founder of
)semiology--Ferdinand de Saussure.
)See Chapter 3, section 3 (Place of language in human facts:
)semiology) in his _Course in General Linguistics_ in which he places
)linguisitics within the realm of semiology.  Though Suassure saw
)semiology as encompassing linguistics because language was only one
)kind of social sign system and semiotics studies all social sign
)systems, later semiologists expanded the scope (or rather,
)rediscovered the ancient scope) of semiology by recognizing that
)there are natural, non-arbitrarily meaningful signs (like smoke,
)which is taken as a natural sign of fire--"where there's
)smoke ...").  Thus, semiologists after Saussure have come to see
)linguistics as a science dealing with but one kind of
)non-natural/conventional/arbitrarily meaningful sign system, while
)semiology is a general science of sign systems, natural and
)non-natural.  Roughly at the time Saussure was re-creating
)semiology on the continent, Charles Sanders Pierce (pronounced
)"purse") was arguing for the recognition of a science of signs he
)termed semiotics.  From the start, Pierce's notion of a science
)of signs encompassed both natural and non-natural sign systems, of
)which language is clearly only one kind of non-natural system.
)However, I don't know of any place off-hand where he
)spoke specifically about the relation between semiotics and
)linguistics as sciences.  Given that semiotics/ semiology is the
)science of signs, and covers the study of all sign systems, and that
)language is but one sign system, I would be surprised if anyone
)suggested semiotics/semiology was either entirely separate from or
)subordinate to linguistics!

Jacques Steyn gave some similar information and the following:
)In the States, however, with the popularity of behaviorism and then
)generativism, language received an autonomous status, and the focus
)of how language was defined became all the more narrower. For
)example, the focus first on morphology and phonology and then on
)syntax, decontextualised language to such an extent that anything of
)semiotic interest was ignored.
)the answer to your question will depend on which school linguists
)who will reply belong to. If they decontextualise language and
)regard it as an autonomous system, they are very likely going
)to ignore anything related to semiotics. If, however, language (and
)here your definition of language is important) is considered as one
)of the tools of communication it will probably be regarded as a
)subsystem of semiotics. Some may even regard any mode of
)communication as language (as we can see eg in computerese), and
)thereby making these terms synonymous.

On a related topic Margaret Winters told me:

)My husband Geoffrey Nathan and I have a paper in the festschrift for
)J.D. McCawley on the relationship between linguistics and philology.
)One of our discoveries in surveying over 100 linguists on the
)subject was that the field was divided.  We got in approximately
)equal numbers the (usually strongly voiced) opinions that
)a)linguistics subsumes philology, b) philology subsumes linguistics,
)c) they are the same thing,and d) they are entirely different.

Karen Ward expressed interest in an expanded discussion as she has
come up against semiotics in relation to computing. I also have come
across the use of semiotics in computing although to
my mind the computing references I have seen are not very rigorously
researched or necessarily convincing. I am still continuing with my
research into semiotics and if anyone else is still interested I
would like to hear from them. In particular I am looking at language
used in negotiations and I intend to try a semiotic analysis in
tandem with syntactic/semantic analysis.

The references I have been given are as follows:-
R Antilla - "Historical and Comparitive Linguistics"
W.U.Dressler - "Leitmotifs in Natural Morphology"
S Shaumanyan - "A Semiotic Theory of Language" Indiana U. Press 1987
T Sebeok - "A Sign is Just a Sign" Indiana U Press 1991
F de Saussure "Course in Linguistics"

Many thanks to Peter Coughlan, Jeff Allen, aromi, Chris Nelson,
Jacques Steyn, MargaretWinters, Karen Ward

Sam Salt
University of Derby
(d.w.salt at derby.ac.uk)