6.36 Sum: Portable digital recorders for fieldwork

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 14 23:16:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-36. Sat 14 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 46

Subject: 6.36 Sum: Portable digital recorders for fieldwork

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 11:35:12 -0600
From: jihualde at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: digital recorders

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 11:35:12 -0600
From: jihualde at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

A couple of weeks before the break I posted a message asking for
information about portable digital recorders for phonetic/phonological
fieldwork. Since a couple of people told me that they were interested in
knowing the results of my inquiry, here is a summary of the replies:
 Several people who replied to me recommended Sony recorders, in particular
the TCD-D7 or the TCD-D10. I am told that these machines are somewhat
expensive. It appears that there is a cheaper but still adequate machine
produced by JVC: JVC XD-p1 PRO BK. The Sony mini disc portable recorder
mz-1 was also highly recommended.
Thank you to everyone who replied to me: Maquela Brizuela, Rianne Doeleman,
Hannes Pirker, Ingo Plag, Stephanie Maietta and Alex Francis. (sorry if I
am forgetting someone's name).
Jose Ignacio Hualde
Dept. of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese
4080 FLB
Univ. of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801
jihualde at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu