6.37 Qs: Audience presence, Feminine gender, Parsers, Content analysis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 14 23:29:07 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-37. Sat 14 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 138

Subject: 6.37 Qs: Audience presence, Feminine gender, Parsers, Content analysis

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 21:34:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: "S. A. Williams" (Simon.Williams at reading.ac.uk)
Subject: Enquiry for list

2)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:26:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Timothy Miller (millert at babbage.csee.usf.edu)
Subject: Feminine Gender for abstractions

3)
Date:   Tue, 10 Jan 1995 20:38:52 -1000
From: Phil Bralich (bralich at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Subject: Natural Language Parsers

4)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 10:03:02 -0500
From: halpert at husc.harvard.edu
Subject: content analysis

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 21:34:02 +0000 (GMT)
From: "S. A. Williams" (Simon.Williams at reading.ac.uk)

I would like to make the following enquiry to Linguist list subscribers:

Can anyone help with a reference to a chapter on audience participation
in the "Rocky Horror Show", probably in a book on discourse analysis
published probably in the USA maybe around 10 years ago?  I remember
reading it when looking for something else.  Now I'd like to refer to it!

Secondly, to what extent is the special following for the RHS (a dying
pursuit?),
dressing up, shouting the lines in chorus etc, a cross-cultural
phenomenon (apart, that is, from the English-speaking UK and USA)?

Simon Williams
Centre for Applied Language Studies (CALS)
University of Reading, UK

e-mail: Simon.Williams at reading.ac.uk