6.39 have > of

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Jan 15 19:51:37 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-39. Sun 15 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 84

Subject: 6.39 have > of

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 10:50:28 EST
From: Frits Stuurman (stuurman at MIT.EDU)
Subject: have) of

2)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 19:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: RUBBAJ at axe.humboldt.edu
Subject: could of

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 10:50:28 EST
From: Frits Stuurman (stuurman at MIT.EDU)

hi

i don't remember who started the thread about ***have*** and ***of***, or when
and why. still, i thought what follows might be of some interest.

one of the more enjoyable aspects of being a linguist, in my book, is
that one can read p.g. wodehouse, for instance, "for research
purposes". in *** the luck of the bodkins *** (london: h. jenkins,
1956), the plot largely revolves around most of the cast's inability
to spell ***inexplicable***. in this sophisticated linguistic context,
wodehouse has two characters, one american, one english, say the
following:

american movie-mogul:
p. 56: How should I know how to spell 'inexplicable"? And  if  I had of known,
 do
you think I was in shape to tell anybody how to spell anything?  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
p. 58: If he'd of had pimples I could have counted each individual one.
             ^^^^^^^^

british purser (and amateur philosopher):
p. 66: ... a living organism ... would pretty near have took the of my thumb off
if I hadn't of looked slippy ...
p. 77: Suppose, as might quite well have happened, he'd of become during his
lifetime a sufferer from asthma ...                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

and also p. 71: ... if that bloke hadn't have shot the Emperor, there wouldn't
have been no war ...              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but for p. 71, I guess on 56 and 66 i would hardly of expected  'had(n't) have
known / looked'? (and what about * the luck have the bodkins *?).