6.42 FYI: LINGUIST nameserver, New periodical, On-line library catalog

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 16 05:58:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-42. Sun 15 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 155

Subject: 6.42 FYI: LINGUIST nameserver, New periodical, On-line library catalog

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 14:01 +0100 (MET)
From: "Norval Smith (UVAALF::NSMITH)" (NSMITH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL)
Subject: LINGUIST NAMESERVER

2)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 00:36:13 +0100
From: Daniel Soutif (Daniel.Soutif at CNAC-GP.FR)
Subject: A New Multidisciplinary Periodical: Call for Comments

3)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 00:54:13 +0100
From: lxalvarz at udc.es (Celso Alvarez Caccamo)
Subject: On-line library catalogs

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 14:01 +0100 (MET)
From: "Norval Smith (UVAALF::NSMITH)" (NSMITH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL)

The Linguists Nameserver - Plea

As many of you will know we maintain a Nameserver for linguists and
related scientists at LINGUIST at ALF.LET.UVA.NL. This Nameserver
contains around 7500 e-mail addresses of persons and institutions, as
well as institutional FAX addresses.
        As with all such lists the addresses rapidly become out of date,
as people change jobs, or computer centres change computers. To reduce
the number of ghost adddresses, and add linguists to the list whose e-mail
addresses are not presently contained in it, I would encourage all direct and
indirect subscribers to LINGUIST to check that their address(es) are still
valid.
        Three commands are relevant in this context:

LIST
        This command enables one or more addresses to be extracted from the
database. The correct syntax to extract Bill Clinton's address (just an
example) would be:

        list clinton

This command should be sent to linguists at alf.let.uva.nl

REMOVE
        This command enables a single address to be removed. The correct
syntax is:

        remove clinton, bill: clinton at ovalroom.whitehouse.gov

ADD
        This command enables a single address to be added. The correct
syntax is:

        add clinton, bill: clinton at ovalroom.whitehouse.gov

To change an address you require both a REMOVE and an ADD operation. Any
combination of commands is acceptible as long each is given on a separate
line. There is no restriction to one command per message. So 150 separate
ADD commands in one message is quite acceptible.
        We would ask that people do not use capital letters in addresses -
these are never essential.
        The reason for us to ask this at the present is that we will be
transferring operations in the near future from the VAX on which LINGUISTS
is now maintained to a new UNIX system. This will also enable us to
improve our service with new possibilities.

Norval Smith    Pieter Masereeuw