6.53 Sum: Phonetics texts for undergraduates

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 16 22:46:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-53. Mon 16 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 129

Subject: 6.53 Sum: Phonetics texts for undergraduates

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 11:38:02 CST
From: smburt at heartland.bradley.edu (Susan Burt)
Subject: phonetics texts

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 11:38:02 CST
From: smburt at heartland.bradley.edu (Susan Burt)

Dear Linguists,

Last month I posted a query on phonetics texts suitable
for a 10-week undergraduate course.  I received many
helpful responses from: Chuck Coker, Yoshi Asano, Marc
Picard, Charles Read, Darlene LaCharite, Nigel Love,
Geoffrey Nathan, Steve Seegmiller, Don Churma, Frances
Ingemann, Peter Ladefoged, Hal Edwards, and one linguist
who preferred not to be listed.  Thanks to all of you!

The book most often recommended is Peter Ladefoged's,
but others are also recommended in cases where the
course is focused on the description of English only.
Geoff Nathan pointed out that there are hypertext
programs with examples stored as sound files that go
with Ladefoged's text; the Edwards text has
accompanying workbook, instructor's manual and
lab tapes.

Marc Picard very kindly sent me the bibliography he
gives to students in his class.  I hope he does not mind
that I have added to it the items referred to in the
other replies I received to create the enclosed
summary bibliography.  Call numbers are from Marc's
list, and are those from libraries in Montreal, for
those of you lucky enough to live there.
Again, my thanks to all who replied!

Susan Meredith Burt

Here is the combined list of references:

Abercrombie, David (1967)
 Elements of General Phonetics.  Edinburgh University
Press.  (Vanier 3,   PE 1135 A2 1967b)
Bolinger, Dwight  (1986)
 Intonation and Its Parts: Melody in Spoken English.
 Stanford University  Press.  (Webster 4,  PE 1139.5 B65
 1986)
Bronstein, Arthur  (1960)
 The Pronunciation of American English: An Introduction
 to Phonetics.  New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
(Vanier 3, PE 1137 B77 1960)
Catford, J.C. (date?)
 A Practical Introduction to Phonetics. Oxford U.P.
Clark, John, and Colin Yallop (1990)
 An Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology.  Oxford:
Basil Blackwell. (Webster 4, P 217 C62, 1990)
Cruttenden, Alan  (1994)
 Gimson's Pronunciation of English.  London: Edward
Arnold.
Crystal, David.  1991.
  A Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics, 3rd ed.
Cambridge, MA:  Blackwell.
Denes, Peter, and Elliott Pinson (1963)
 The Speech Chain.  Bell Telephone Laboratories.
(Webster 4 & Vanier 3, QP  306 D45 1963)
Edwards, Harold T.  1992.
  Applied Phonetics:  The Sounds of American English
San Diego, CA:  Singular Publishing Group.
Fromkin, Victoria, and Robert Rodman.  1993.
 An Introduction to Language, 5th ed.  Orlando, FL:
 Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
Jones, Daniel, A.C. Gimson, and Susan Ramsaran  (1988)
 English Pronouncing Dictionary. London: J.M. Dent &
 Sons. (Webster  reference, PE 1137 J55 1988)
 Kent, Ray & Charles Read (1992).
   The Acoustic Analysis of Speech.  Singular Publishing.
Ladefoged, Peter  (1993)
 A Course in Phonetics.  Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace
Jovanovich.  (Webster 4   & Vanier 3, P 221 L2 1982,
 1975)
Laver, John  (1994)
 Principles of Phonetics. Cambridge: University
Press. (McGill P221 L293 1993)
Longman Dictionary of American English. 1983.  White
Plains, NY:    Longman.
MacKay, Ian. (date?)
  The Science of speech Production.  Austin, Texas:
 Pro-Ed.
O'Connor, J.D.  (1980)
 Phonetics.  Penguin Books.
Picard, Marc  (1994)
 The Comparative Phonetics of English and French.
Montreal: Concordia University.  (Bookstore)
Pullum, Geoffrey K., and William A. Ladusaw  (1986)
 Phonetic Symbol Guide.  University of Chicago Press.
  (Webster 4, P 221  P85 1986)
Rogers, Henry  (1991)
 Theoretical and Practical Phonetics. Mississauga:
 Copp Clark Pitman.   (McGill P221 R64 1991)
Wells, J.C.  (1990)
 Longman Pronunciation Dictionary.  Harlow: Longman.
  (Webster reference, PE 1137 W45 1990)

I should point out that no one knew of a book
particularly designed for 10 weeks--how to make
a course fit that time period seems to be
a pedagogical problem left up to the
instructor.