6.66 Comparative Method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 18 05:34:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-66. Tue 17 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 288

Subject: 6.66 Comparative Method

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 16:22:50 -0500 (EST)
From: David Solnit (dsolnit at umich.edu)
Subject: Re: 5.1482 Comparative Method

2)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 15:40 PST
From: poser at unbc.edu (William Poser)
Subject: masses of data in mass comparison?

3)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 16:22:34 EST
From: amr at ares.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Re:  6.10 Comparative method

4)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 15:30:37 EST
From: amr at ares.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Comparative Linguistics

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 16:22:50 -0500 (EST)
From: David Solnit (dsolnit at umich.edu)

Concerning John Cowan's query about Tai belonging to Sino-Tibetan:
First off, it is not quite true that nobody believes it now; as far as I
know it is still the official view in China that Tai (as part of
Zhuang-Dong or Kadai) as well as Miao-Yao belong in Sino-Tibetan.  The
private views of Chinese linguists are another matter:  many of them are
skeptical of Tai's affiliation with S-T. By the way, I use 'Kadai' to
mean the larger family including Tai as well as Kam-Sui, Hlai (Li), Gelao
and a number of others; some prefer 'Tai-Kadai' for this group.

Why did views change?  Largely, I think, it was a matter of recognizing
that typological features like tone and monosyllabicity were less
resistant to diffusion than had been thought; in particular, they are
less resistant to replacement than is core vocabulary.  The shift in
views about the affiliation of Vietnamese shows this in miniature:
Vietnamese is typologically very close to Chinese, Tai and Miao-Yao, and
it has large numbers of lexical items with obvious Chinese affiliations, but
its lexicon also includes many items, and among them many core items, that
have good phonological correspondences to Mon-Khmer.  The situation with
Tai and Miao-Yao is similar, except that there is no obvious competing
genetic linkage to make once you discard Chinese. You are left with many
core vocabulary items that are unrelatable to Chinese.

Much of the credit for shifting opinion about the affiliation of Tai
should probably go to Paul Benedict, since he made more or less the above
arguments as part of his proposal for hooking Tai up with Austronesian, in
the first version of Austro-Tai.  It is, I think, instructive to notice
what happened:  hardly anybody went along with Austro-Tai, but it quickly
became difficult to find anybody explicitly advocating the old
Sino-Tibetan affiliation.  I would not like to say that Benedict had
*disproved* the ST-Tai relation;  I would prefer to say that he made a
persuasive argument that a hypothesis of ST-Tai affiliation was not a
useful or promising one.

I'm of the camp that thinks that you can't disprove a genetic relation in
linguistics.  You *can* show that a given claim for a given genetic
relation is unconvincing, but that is not the same thing as showing that the
claimed relation is invalid.

And I can't resist putting in my 2 cents on the matter of writing grammars
of proto-languages.  A bit of the disagreement between Karl Teeter and
Alexis Manaster-Ramer seems due to misunderstanding:  Alexis has mostly
been using 'grammar' to mean 'morphology, especially inflectional
morphology like in Indo-European', while Karl seems rather to use
'grammar' in the larger, generative sense, as (a description of) the sum
total of a speaker's linguistic knowledge.  In the latter sense, grammar
of course includes phonology, so presumably when we describe the phonology
of a proto-language we are going some distance towards meeting Karl's
demand for a grammar of that proto-language. The question is how much
farther we can expect to go.  When I contemplate writing the grammar of
proto-Kadai, I am sure it would include plenty of phonology, and a fair
amount on derivational morphology and compounding (which in many of these
languages are practically the same thing).  But no inflectional
morphology, and I must confess I have trouble conceiving of describing the
proto-syntax, except by characterising it as SVO since all the modern
languages are of that type.  I'm not sure what sort of evidence I could
use do decide whether classifiers existed as a distinct grammatical
category in the proto-language, or which aspects were marked by verbs and
which by particles, or any number of other things that would take up many
pages in a grammar of any of the modern languages.  It may well turn out
that many useful facts about the proto-syntax can be inferred, including
even some of those I just listed, but I really doubt we'll ever find an
analog to the est/sunt:ist/sind pattern.

)
) Well, what is known about how various hypotheses of relationship were
) rejected in the past?  At one time, it was believed that Tai was part of
) Sino-Tibetan; nobody believes this now.  On what basis did those learned
) in the art shift their paradigms (to mix a few metaphors)?
)
) I know very little about either language family, but the resemblances between
) them (tones, monosyllabicity, the Great Tone Split) are seductive.  I think
) it would be instructive to hear, from someone who knows the history, just
) how these faux amis came to be disregarded.
)
) John Cowan              sharing account (lojbab at access.digex.net) for now
)                 e'osai ko sarji la lojban.
)
) LINGUIST List: Vol-5-1482.
)