6.80 FYI: Ape lang, LaTex and Macitosh, Corrections, Modern Greek

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 20 16:51:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List: Vol-6-80. Fri 20 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 169

Subject: 6.80 FYI: Ape lang, LaTex and Macitosh, Corrections, Modern Greek

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:59:02 PST
From: "John H. Chalmers" (non12 at cyber.net)
Subject: Ape Language

2)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 12:08:11 -0800
From: alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)
Subject: LaTeX and Macintosh

3)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 10:25:31 -0300
From: maia at vms1.nce.ufrj.br
Subject: Program on indigenous languages of Brazil

4)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:46:46 -0500
From: jester at panix.com (Jesse Sheidlower)
Subject: IMPORTANT Re: 6.68 Sum: American Dialect Society

5)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:32:43 -0800
From: slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU (Dan I. Slobin)
Subject: Modern Greek Acquisition

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:59:02 PST
From: "John H. Chalmers" (non12 at cyber.net)

        The latest issue of the Journal of NIH Research (vol 7,
No.1 Jan. 1995 pp. 50-55) contains a short review article by
Pat Shipman  on human evolution. On the cover, the article is
referred to  as "Fading Lines Between Apes and Humans," but actually
it is titled "Climbing the Family Tree: What Makes a Hominid a
Hominid?".
        The discussion on linguistic abilities might be of interest
to other subscribers to the Linguist list. The author discusses
Kanzi and Sue Savage-Rumbaugh's 1994 book "Kanzi: The Ape at the
Brink of the Human Mind," [John Wiley and Sons, NY]. According to
Savage-Rumbaugh, Kanzi does have a rudimentary grammar, can use
displaced referents and arbitrary symbols (in this case, icons or
"lexigrams" on a computer).S-R thinks his ability equals that of
a 2 year old child.
        In later section, the  work of Derek Bickerton ("Language
and Species," 1990  [University of Chicago Press] is summarized.
Bickerton admits that Kanzi, other apes and young children
use "proto-language," but not full language because of the lack
if grammatical elements. Most of the rest of the section on
language is devoted to Broca's area and cortical specialization.

 --John