6.83 Comparative Method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 20 17:10:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-83. Fri 20 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 77

Subject: 6.83 Comparative Method

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 18:08:52 EST
From: amr at kali.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Comparative Linguistics

2)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 07:50:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan Everett (dever at isp.pitt.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.66 Comparative Method

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 18:08:52 EST
From: amr at kali.cs.wayne.edu

Re: Poser's recent posting, I would like to ask: How many
forms are required to be shared between two or more languages
for us to be able to tell that they are related? Meillet,who
should have known, seems to have felt that ten forms was
plenty in some cases he discussed, although he did not
specify a minimum.

Alexis MR