6.86 Varia: Auto-antonymy, Conversation analysis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Jan 21 19:44:08 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-86. Sat 21 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 80

Subject: 6.86 Varia: Auto-antonymy, Conversation analysis

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 09:59 EST
From: joel at wam.umd.edu (Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject: Auto-antonymy

2)
Date:          Fri, 20 Jan 1995 08:43:59 GMT0BST
From: "Li Wei" (Li.Wei at newcastle.ac.uk)
Subject:       CA

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 09:59 EST
From: joel at wam.umd.edu (Joel M. Hoffman)

-0600 (199501201229.HAA26983 at wor-srv.wam.umd.edu)

)In November, I posted a query about what I referred to as
)"auto-antonymy", the semantic state of a word being its own opposite,
)either changing its meaning through time or having two opposite meanings
)at the same time.

I was surprised to see two examples left off your list:

impregnable:  able to impregnated or inable to be pregnated.

inflamable:  not flamable (which was not its original meaning, because
there was no word "flamable") or able to be inflamed, flamable.

 -Joel
(joel at wam.umd.edu)