6.90 Comparative Method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 23 03:09:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-90. Sun 22 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 77

Subject: 6.90 Comparative Method

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 20:43:10 +0100
From: KNAPPEN at VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE
Subject: Re: 6.83 Comparative Method

2)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 22:11:56 EST
From: amr at ares.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Comparative: N-ary vs. Binary Comparison

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 20:43:10 +0100
From: KNAPPEN at VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE

Should we introduce a sharper terminology? I think, a typical Greenbergian
`family' is quite different from the indoeuropean `family' or the germanic
`family' in time depth and the possibility of constructing a
proto-language.
   Biologists have developped for a long time a whole set of notions, from
species and genus  to families, classes and orders. It seems, that such
kind of differentiated terminology would do something good to historical
linguistics, too.

 --J"org Knappen.