6.95 Qs: SALA XVII, German `tschu"s', syntax & memory, "futurate"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 23 17:56:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-95. Mon 23 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 144

Subject: 6.95 Qs: SALA XVII, German `tschu"s', syntax & memory, "futurate"

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 14:39 EST
From: "Dennis.Preston" (22709MGR at MSU.EDU)
Subject: 6.78 Confs: SALA XVII Conference

2)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 10:46:06 -0500
From: Wechsler at world.std.com (Allan C Wechsler)
Subject: Q: German `tschu"s'

3)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 12:01:24 +0100
From: fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de (Gisbert Fanselow)
Subject: syntax & working memory

4)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 19:15:40 -0400
From: bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
Subject: "futurate" progressive

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 14:39 EST
From: "Dennis.Preston" (22709MGR at MSU.EDU)

Can anyone help me with the e-mail address of Bob Berdan at CSU Long Beach? He
is not on the lists I have consulted.
Thanks,
Dennis Preston
(22709mgr at msu.edu)

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 10:46:06 -0500
From: Wechsler at world.std.com (Allan C Wechsler)

Does anyone know the etymology of German (tschu"s), "g'bye", "see you
later"?  My current guess is that it's from British English "cheers",
but this is based on no historical data whatever.

Please CC Larry Trask (larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk) in any replies.