6.113 Varia: Eskimo snow/Scottish rain, Open letter to _Language_, IPA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 26 05:18:47 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-113. Wed 25 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 105

Subject: 6.113 Varia: Eskimo snow/Scottish rain, Open letter to _Language_, IPA

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 22:02:20 GMT
From: caoimhin at sabhal-mor-ostaig.ac.uk (Caoimhin P. ODonnaile)
Subject: Eskimo snow and Scottish rain

2)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 10:49:34 -0500 (EST)
From: "Dr. Jacob Caflisch" (caflisch at quijote.lang.usf.edu)
Subject: Re: 5.1470 Open letter to _Language_

3)
Date:    Wed, 25 Jan 95 15:48 PST
From: "idu0pnl at ucla.mvs.edu"               (IDU0PNL at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
Subject: Re: 6.100 Sum: IPA history & haceks,

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 22:02:20 GMT
From: caoimhin at sabhal-mor-ostaig.ac.uk (Caoimhin P. ODonnaile)

I don't know about Eskimo words for snow, but Scottish Gaelic has a
special word "turadh" for when it stops raining!

Compare:

       Tha an  t-uisge ann.
       is  the water   in it
       "It is raining"

       Tha an  turadh    ann.
       is  the dry-spell in it
       "It has stopped raining."

Also:
       Rinn e  turadh      san    fheasgar.
       Made it a dry-spell in the afternoon
       "It stopped raining (for a while) in the afternoon.

  Kevin Donnelly