6.107 Qs: Constant rate, Bulgarian classes, ELSNET

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 25 22:26:04 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-107. Wed 25 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1078-4875. Lines: 100

Subject: 6.107 Qs: Constant rate, Bulgarian classes, ELSNET

                           REMINDER

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 10:57:04 GMT
From: "HOPE J." (ENG6JRH at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Subject: Kroch's constant rate hypothesis

2)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 22:39:46 PST
From: bparker at vms1.cc.uop.edu
Subject: Bulgarian summer classes in U.S.A.

3)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 19:31:35 +0200
From: koen.de.smet at infoboard.be
Subject: ELSNET

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 10:57:04 GMT
From: "HOPE J." (ENG6JRH at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK)

Kroch 1989 argues that syntactic change progresses at the same rate
in all contexts (using Ellegard's 1953 data on auxiliary do) - a
challenge to the notion that changes diffuse.  This is obviously an
important claim, and Kroch's methodology - matching theoretical
syntax with (to me) high-level stats - also seems an important
advance for historical linguistics.

*However* - Ogura 1993 is a direct challenge to Kroch, re-using the
Ellegard data and the same statistical method, but claiming that the
data actually shows the opposite of what Kroch claims: i.e. that the
change in auxiliary do use *differs* in rate between contexts.

I'm working on auxiliary do within a more variationist model, and I'm
just not up to judging who is right in this argument: can a more stats
literate person help, or is there a reply by Kroch I'm not aware of?

Anthony Kroch, 1989, `Reflexes of grammar in patterns of language
change', Language variation and change 1, pp. 199-244

Mieko Ogura, 1993, `The development of periphrastic do in English',
Diachronica, X.1, pp 51-85

Jonathan Hope (J.R.Hope at Leeds.uk.ac)
School of English
University of Leeds