6.123 IPA history

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Jan 29 03:21:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-123. Sat 28 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 69

Subject: 6.123 IPA history

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:16:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "R. Hoberman" (RDHOBERMAN at ccmail.sunysb.edu)
Subject: Hacek

2)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:49:37 -0500 (EST)
From: MARC PICARD (PICARD at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA)
Subject: IPA symbols for clicks

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:16:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "R. Hoberman" (RDHOBERMAN at ccmail.sunysb.edu)

The use of hacek in phonetic and phonological symbols is not limited to North
Americans.  Besides Slavists, it is used by Semitic linguists almost
everywhere, and in particular in Germany and France, and also Britain, Italy,
and Russia.  It appears very frequently in the Zeitschrift fuer arabische
Linguistik/Journal de linguistique arabe.  Not only that, but the symbol _y_ is
often used instead of _j_ for the palatal semivowel even by German Arabists.

Is the same true among those who work on other language families?  If so, then
if the IPA people resent anything it's not so much the refusal of North
Americans to go along with international convention as the fact that the so
called North American (but originally Slavist) convention is popular
everywhere.

Bob Hoberman
rhoberman at ccmail.sunysb.edu