6.939, Qs: Proper names, Child lg acquisition, 1997 ICL

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 6 19:53:26 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-939. Thu Jul 6 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  96

Subject: 6.939, Qs: Proper names, Child lg acquisition, 1997 ICL

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 05 Jul 1995 18:49:17 +0200
From:  yvon at inf.enst.fr (Francois Yvon)
Subject:  Proper names

2)
Date:  Thu, 06 Jul 1995 12:29:00 -0000
From:  fbfz23 at ujvax.ulst.ac.uk
Subject:  CHILD LANGUAGE ACQUISTION

3)
Date:  Thu, 06 Jul 1995 07:27:20 -0300
From:  WTGORDON at ac.dal.ca
Subject:  1997 International Congress of Linguists

Date:  Wed, 05 Jul 1995 18:49:17 +0200
From:  yvon at inf.enst.fr (Francois Yvon)

Dear Linguists,

I am looking for information and references regarding Proper Names (especially
people's names). Proper names are difficult to handle for NLP applications, for
various reasons; but one thing is sure: if you wish to analyse large corpora
of texts, you will bump into a large number of proper names, and many of
of these will be foreign proper names. So I am trying to gather any possible
piece of knowledge (references and pointers are welcome) for as many
languages as I can regarding the following points, in order to enhance a
syntactic analyser for French :

- the standard fashion to name people (in French, usually a first name and a
last name, but some language may add to this simple pattern additonal pieces.

- what kind of unusual character may be found in proper names: for example, in
France you may find names from Brittany like Rowarc'h or Floc'h, where the
quote is likely to cause segmentation errors; the same holds for some Dutch
names such as Op't Hof, etc.

- what are the official rules for spelling proper names, especially names
that are composed of prepositional phrases, like "de Gaulle", or
"Van Voorst tot Voorst": in other words, which parts are capitalized,
and which are not.

- what are the most frequent morphemes used in proper names, or in other
words if there is (used to be) a preferred way for creating new proper
names from a restricted list of morphemes.

- what are the compounding rules for proper names.

If there is enough interest, I 'll post a summary.
Many thanks in advance,

     Francois.