6.954, Qs: Morphological process, Chinese, Etymology, Email address

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 11 05:55:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-954. Tue Jul 11 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  130

Subject: 6.954, Qs: Morphological process, Chinese, Etymology, Email address

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sat, 08 Jul 1995 15:37:38 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)
Subject:  A (formerly) productive morphological process?

2)
Date:  Sat, 08 Jul 1995 22:30:21 BST
From:  sackmann at zedat.fu-berlin.de ("Robin Sackmann")
Subject:        Qs: Parts-of-Speech in Chinese

3)
Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:47:29 CST
From:  cec74480 at acuvax.acu.edu
Subject:  Etymology

4)
Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 1995 19:22:36 EDT
From:  bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
Subject:  Tenny

Date:  Sat, 08 Jul 1995 15:37:38 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)

All my life i have been aware of a process of forming compounds (often
referring to geographical entities, ethnic groups, etc.) by means of a
`combining form', typically ending in -o, of the first member of the
compound, e.g., Anglo-Saxon, Afro-Asiatic, Dano-Norwegian.

Of late years, at least in `official' circles, i seem to be seeing a repu-
diation of this combining form. Whereas back in the 60's we occasionally
used the expression `Afro-American', this has been recently repudiated by
the community it refers to in favour of `African American'.  And while i
have been accustomed quite happily to refer to myself as a `Euro-American',
i have just this past week come across the (to my mind) much more cumber-
some usage `European American'.

Can anybody tell me anything about the history of this process?  Does it,
as i suspect, derive from the -o combining form so common in Greek-derived
words (e.g., morphology)?  And is it really dying out as a productive pro-
cess in English?

Thanks
Steven
Dr. Steven Schaufele
712 West Washington
Urbana, IL  61801
217-344-8240
fcosws at prairienet.org

**** O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum! ***
*** Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis! ***