6.965, Sum: Tok Masta - an addition to summary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 12 04:20:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-965. Tue Jul 11 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 6.965, Sum: Tok Masta - an addition to summary

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:15:00 BST
From:  B940119 at ALF.LET.UVA.NL (JAKOB LADEFOGED)
Subject:  Tok Masta - an addition to summary

Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:15:00 BST
From:  B940119 at ALF.LET.UVA.NL (JAKOB LADEFOGED)

From:   IN%"Robert.Mannell at mq.edu.au" 28-JUN-1995 04:27:14.98

This mail is an addition to the summary of sources on Tok Masta, Foreigner
Talk (?) of New Guinea, which I not long time ago. The message was not in-
cluded in the summary, because of a few problems with my adress.
It seems very relevant to the subject to me - thanks a lot to Robert Mannell
<Robert.Mannell at mq.edu.au"> for sending it:

>I don't have any references, but when I was in Papua New Guinea in 1974/75
>I often heard this term.  I spent several months trekking in the New Guinea
>central highlands.  The term was sometimes used by local people in response
>to hearing English being spoken and was sometimes used when Tok Pisin (then
>called Tok Pidgin) was being spoken poorly by a native speaker of English.
>In this second case the form of Tok Pisin being spoken was strongly
>contaminated by Australian English pronunciation and by the use of extra
>English words which were not then current in Tok Pisin (what effect this
>had on the subsequent development of Tok Pisin vocabulary I do not know).
>
>To summarize:
>       Tok Masta == English    Tok Masta == heavily Anglicised Tok Pisin (whic
h may have
 sounded