6.967, Disc: English only

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 17 17:29:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-967. Mon Jul 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  353

Subject: 6.967, Disc: English only

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:51:18 +0200
From:  vilkuna at domlang.fi (Maria Vilkuna)
Subject:  official bilingualism

2)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 03:36:27 EST
From:  uti at cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu
Subject:  English Only

3)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:31:25 PDT
From:  jer2 at axe.humboldt.edu (Johanna Rubba)
Subject:  Re: 6.955, Disc: English only

4)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 19:45:05 PDT
From:  WFKING at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

5)
Date:  Fri, 07 Jul 1995 09:45:17 CST
From:  ormsby at servidor.dgsca.unam.mx ("Ormsby Lowry Harold-CELE")
Subject:  Re: 6.933 (Aubert's comments)

6)
Date:  Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:02:37 +0800
From:  bahasa at cs.usm.my (Linguistic Group)
Subject:   Disc: English only

Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:51:18 +0200
From:  vilkuna at domlang.fi (Maria Vilkuna)

Concerning Jack Aubert's posting on language policy in bilingual
countries (LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-933), I would like to assure all
readers of LINGUIST that, for me personally, or apparently for most
Finns, the official bilingualism of this country is most definitly not
a "curse". There are exceptions, of course, such as adolescents
complaining about having to try to learn the other language at school,
but just about everything at school is a bore anyway at that stage,
and a fair proportion  of the young people grow up appreciating the
richness of culture the situation has brought about, or at least, not
suffering from it. Of course, there was a time of rather bitter
controversy around the language issue, but it would have been
a pity if it had led to any other solution than the present one.

There would be a lot to say about the issues raised by Jack Aubert,
but not being a sociolinguist, I will stop now, hoping that Finnish,
Canadian, Belgian etc. experts will react.

Maria Vilkuna
Maria Vilkuna
Kotimaisten kielten tutkimuskeskus /
Research Institute for the Languages of Finland
vilkuna at domlang.helsinki.fi