6.973, Qs: UN corpus, Cognitive gr, Arabic software, XBM bitmaps

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 17 17:51:22 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-973. Mon Jul 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  157

Subject: 6.973, Qs: UN corpus, Cognitive gr, Arabic software, XBM bitmaps

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 1995 01:52:20 GMT
From:  R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk (Raphael Salkie)
Subject:  Query: United Nations Parallel Corpus

2)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 18:17:24 +0200
From:  Weidner at spinfo.Uni-Koeln.DE (Martin Weidner)
Subject:  Q:relation neural nets & Cognitive Grammar

3)
Date:  Thu, 13 Jul 1995 13:34:43 GMT
From:  alicamp at j51.com
Subject:  Seek Arabic Software

4)
Date:  Fri, 14 Jul 1995 10:16:37 +0200
From:  WADE at mtb.und.ac.za (Rodrik Wade)
Subject:  Query: XBM bitmaps of IPA characters

Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 1995 01:52:20 GMT
From:  R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk (Raphael Salkie)

I have some questions for anyone out there who has bought the United Nations
parallel corpus from the LDC (apologies if you have seen this query on the
corpora list as well).

1.  What does the corpus contain?  Is it just formal documents, or are there
transcriptions of general assembly sessions, etc?   Are all the texts of the
same general type, or is there a lot of variety?

2.  What condition are the texts in?  Are they plain texts, or is there a lot
of garbage in them?  Do they include SGML tags?

3.  How many of the texts are genuine translations of each other?  (I am
particularly interested in English - French, but info about Spanish is also
useful).

I have been unable to get this information from the LDC.  I have a grant to
buy the corpus - I want to know if it is worth the money.

If  you've read this far you are probably interested in parallel corpora, so
here's another question.   I would also like to obtain (at least some of) the
Canadian Hansard.  A well-known corpus linguist (I won't reveal his name, but
it begins with B- and ends with -urnard) recently said to me that he thought
the Canadian Hansard was available for 50 dollars.  On the LDC price list, the
cost is 5000 dollars.  Can anyone explain why this usually well-informed
source had this idea?  Is the corpus, or part of it, genuinely "available" for
a small cost?    Please let me know.

Many thanks.

Raphael Salkie
University of Brighton, UK