6.992, Disc: English only

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jul 20 06:18:33 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-992. Thu Jul 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  389

Subject: 6.992, Disc: English only

Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:57:52 CDT
From:  mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)
Subject:  bilingualism

2)
Date:  Tue, 18 Jul 1995 18:23:26 CDT
From:  sl70 at cicero.spc.uchicago.edu (Stuart Luppescu)
Subject:  English Only

3)
Date:  Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:17:45 PDT
From:  schafer at ling.ucsc.edu (Robin Schafer)
Subject:  Discussion: English only

4)
Date:  Wed, 19 Jul 1995 20:26:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org

5)
Date:  Sun, 16 Jul 1995 16:20:04 PDT
From:  nunberg at parc.xerox.com (Geoffrey Nunberg)
Subject:  "English Plus" Resolution in Congress

Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 1995 09:57:52 CDT
From:  mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)

I'm not sure why, but I was reluctant to post on the issue of US
bilingualism.  In any case, I feel obliged to say this as an educational
linguist who has worked in ESL and tangentially in bilingual ed teacher
education.  First of all, the entire notion that bilingual ed was, is, or
could be (designed as) a method for introducing national plurilingualism is
a nonstarter.  Therefore any debates about it using plurilingualism as
argument get nowhere.  In fact, with out a wish to flame anyone (because I
don't think it was intentional) the entire argument that we should stop
bilingual ed because of its anti-English or anti-standard English agenda is
of a kind very familiar to us in educational circles.  It's little
different than what we hear from those who argue that proponents of
progressive educational idea X (e.g. whole langauge reading instruction,
process writing, outcomes-based ed.) are trying to bring down standards,
undermine society, do something unAmerican, and so on.  It is essentially a
rhetorical manipulation of the worst kind, based on false suppositions, and
intended to push hot buttons.  By saying this I am not defending bilingual
ed or any other movement.  However, I think these need to be debated on
their educational merits.

Why is the argument a nonstarter?  Admittedly, there are those in education
who propose that students have the right to their own dialect language or
what-have-you, and that they shouldn't have to learn standard English in
school.  However, they are largely involved in an academic exercise that
takes place in the pages of journals of various sorts.  They do not shape
policy.  The avowed purpose of the vast majority of bilingual ed programs
is usually to ease a limited English proficient child into the mainstream.
The idea is that if they take content area courses in their first language
they will not fall behind while learning English. The programs contain ESL
components that supposedly will allow the kids to mainstream later.  Some
programs do encourage native language literacy and continue classes native
language classes throughout a child's school career.  Some take very young
English speaking kids and put them into these classes on an immersion
basis.  Since usually older English speaking kids in other schools are
trying, in theory, to learn the same language the immigrant kids are
already fluent in, I fail to see what is controversial about that.  It
seems to be designed, in theory again, to encourage personal, not societal,
bilingualism. The failings of bilingual ed, in places where it has failed,
have more to do with poor educational practice than with policy.  If kids
are arriving at college after say five years in bilingual ed, and are
entering ESL programs, something didn't work right.  To anyone remotely
familiar with urban schools, that should hardly be a surprise.

Now, on a national level I think we should look at US bilingualism and
forget about Catalonia or the Basque country for a moment.  Bilingualism in
the US has endured over many generations in several situations:  (i)
Tight-knit religious communities: Hasidic Jews who speak Yiddish, Old order
Amish, Brethren, and Mennonites, who speak their German dialects.  (ii)
Groups who were overtaken, to put it nicely, by English speakers: the
Navajo and other indigenious peoples; French creole speakers in Louisiana,
Spanish in the southwest.  (iii) Isolated communities: Gullah in South
Carolina and Georgia.  Immigrants, it would seem, tend to assimilate
linguistically over a few, typically very few generations. In spite of the
myth that Spanish-speakers are somehow different on this score, I think, it
would be instructive to look at the case of New York, which is full of
people young Hispanics who cannot speak more than a few words of
Spanish-this in spite of continuing immigration from Spanish-speaking
countries.  As a non-Yiddish or Hebrew speaking Ashkanazi Jew, I entirely
understand this phenomenon although as a learner of Spanish as a foreign
language, I lament the lost opportunity.

Finally, I think it would be more instructive to look at which Americans
feel threatened by the non-existent threat of the demise of something that
has never existed (the US as a monolingual nation) and try to figure out
why people feel that way.  Why, for example, is it an issue in the west and
not in New York?  Why is it associated with right and not the left?  Why
has it come up now again?  Is it it really just good old American nativism,
'90s style, or is there something different going on?  Also, why haven't we
in linguistics and education done more to communicate with mainstream
Americans that the whole thing is a lot of nonsense?

Michael Newman
Dept. of Educational Theory & Practice
The Ohio State University

MNEWMAN at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU