6.1001, Sum: Sri Lanka

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:45:26 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1001. Tue Jul 25 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  130

Subject: 6.1001, Sum: Sri Lanka

Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 1995 11:52:52 EDT
From:  PICARD at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA (MARC PICARD)
Subject:  Summary: Sri Lanka

Date:  Sun, 23 Jul 1995 11:52:52 EDT
From:  PICARD at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA (MARC PICARD)

        A few weeks ago I asked the following question:
> Could somebody please tell me how Sri Lanka is written and
> pronounced in Spanish? Is the pronunciation uniform across Latin
> America?

        My reason for asking was that one of my students, a Peruvian, told
me it was pronounced /esrilanka/. Yet I seemed to recall that a Mexican had
once told me it was /sirlanka/. As you will see below, I was wrong but only
partly. Here are the responses I received:

From:   IN%"m211744 at er.uqam.ca"  "BOUFFARD PAULA"
En reponse a ton mail sur la prononciation de Sri lanka en espagnol, je
peux dire qu'en amerique du sud (Chili, Argentine), on prononce et on
ecrit Siri lanka.